Monday 8 September 2008

Mamma Mia

A young girl invites her three potential fathers to her wedding, hoping her real father will give her away. Based on the hit West End musical based on Abba’s hits before it.

This film, it goes without saying, could have gone without seeing. I took my seat as one of five-seven blokes in the cinema (you can’t be too sure in the dark) and sat through the whole thing, which had its moments, but generally left me cringing throughout. Part of the point in fact was to have characters ridiculously bursting into song, and backing singers appearing from nowhere to enter the fray. Some songs were good, Meryl Streep and Julie Walters produce great performances (on the whole), but I feel the film could have been done better. Sometimes even Streep looked like she was in attacks of spasms, but may be that was dancing.

I don’t want to be horrible about the film, because it’s easy (in this case more than others), so what I would say is that it looked a lot of fun. If I were a multi-million pound actor, I would probably have agreed to be in this film. But would have regretted it later.

No comments: